Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:44:01 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux compat issue(s)

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 19:32:43 +0200
 roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert) wrote:

 > Has anyone contacted Linus for the same problem ? It would be nice if every
 > free UNIX could use the same method.

As I stated in a previous mail to this list, Matt Thomas and I had this
discussion with Linus.  He simply wasn't interested.  His way to make it
all work properly was to make all of the ABIs look like Linux.

Eventually, the thread turned into "why making all ABIs look like
Linux was not an acceptable solution".

Matt's idea was to create a standard for denoting OS-ness of an ELF
executable, which could eventually be proposed to commercial vendors.

Personally, I think it'd be great to have a way to distingish between
the *BSD flavors.  (I'm no longer so enthusiastic about expending the
effort to include Linux on this, given Linus's attitude toward the
problem.)