Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:22:18 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux ps(1) for FreeBSD

Greg Lehey wrote:

> > if not; is somebody currently porting ps(1)?
> > if not; is ps(1) needed in other situations that a port is at all justified?
>
> The problem is that ps(1) reflects some of the kernel's most intimate
> parts.  It's very difficult to fake a Linux environment at this
> level.  About the best you can hope for is to fake something which
> Oracle will accept.

That's the idea: make a version of ps(1) that mimics the behaviour os a Linux
ps(1). I don't think a true port of ps(1) is necessary or even feasable. A
version which handles the most common process info. should be possible. Any
application that depends on specific intimate Linux info. probably goes to
the /proc filesystem itself, don't you think?

>  Do you have more details?

Yes. What do you have in mind? :-)

I'll try to extract the "ps|grep" pipe details from a ktrace. That should
give you a better context.

marcel