Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:55:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Networking in PCEMU (1/2)

> Hi!
>
> I wrote the code that allows to access the network from pcemu.
> It is also a great debugging environment in case you have
> no real network. Commit it please. The first part contains
> the kernel part (Garrett, please take a look at it) and the second
> part contains the patch for pcemu (Satoshi, please take a look
> a it). I plan to use it to port the Netware emulator from
> Linux some day (may be not very soon).

looks like a very nice piece of work.  I was wondering if someone
has been working on pcemu to add more features. Here are some
projects I had started working on but did not complete. They are
listed in order of importance.

1) 286 emulation (at least real mode). I have included some 286
   instructions, but other are still missing. The problem arises
   because a lot of compilers produce 80286 code by default, even
   though there is no special requirement for that, and the poor
   emulator dies when it finds them...

   MAIN USE: various programs.

2) PCemu in an xterm. Many programs are text only, and it would be very
   nice to be able to run them in a text window, e.g. an xterm or so. I
   spent some time hacknig the x11 module and now my development copy
   is able to produce textual output in the xterm from which the pcemu
   has been started. Input is a bit more critical because the simulator
   wants make/break events from the keyboard, whereas the tty cannot
   supply such events. Also, some special keys (function keys etc) are
   not directly available. Anyways, my code is almost working, if
   someone wants to take it over just let me know.

   MAIN USE: our library has several databases on CD, with a DOS,
   text-only browser. They have a multiuser licence (and in some
   cases a site licence), and the way it currently works is exporting
   via NFS the database, enabling clients on demand. This does not
   work over a dial-up connection (well, I did it once, and it is
   not _that_ bad, at least for some programs). Being able to run
   PCemu in an xterm would make things much faster.

3) cga/ega/vga emulation. It should not be that hard for someone with
   a little bit of X11 knowledge. Not very important, but some programs
   still like to produce some graphic output.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/