Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 18:03:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, root@dihelix.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

> Just like OS/2
> claimed to be "a better DOS than DOS", why can't we make the (justified
> once we get ELF) claim of "a better Linux than Linux?"

Uh, OS/2 hasn't been very successful compared to DOS (or Win95).

> Okay, granted.  But as I said, if it already runs fine on FreeBSD through
> binary emulation, then what do you gain by demanding a FreeBSD-native
> port?  Sure, it'd be nice, but I know I'd rather be able to run a Linux
> version than have no version at all!

Because it will have been regression tested on Linux but not on BSD.

Because a commercial software vendor does not typically offer support
for an OS running their product in an emulation environment.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.