Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2020 08:33:59 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:38:18 +0700
Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:

> But jails lack a repository of ready-made containers with applications.

	True - but there's never been anything to prevent setting one up,
iocage has export, import, rename and snapshot which should provide the
necessary core.

> To be honest, jails lack even a decent management infrastructure. Yes we

	There are several iocage, ezjail, cbsd, bsdploy, jest to mention
just a few. I find iocage suits my needs well enough.

> have bits like "pkg -j", "bectl jail", "bsdinstall jail",
> "freebsd-update -b"  but nobody cared to build a convenient
> infrastructure out of all this, not to speak about a repository of
> ready-made jails for different purposes.

	Quite so, FreeBSD has all the bits to do it and has had for some
time, but nobody wanted a repository of pre-built jails enough to make one.
Nothing stops you from starting one based around one of the tools above or
from scratch based on the native support. It gets done internally by
organisations using FreeBSD to provide images that have been tested and
vetted by internal dev-ops and security folks - such organisations also
tend to build their own docker repository rather than trusting ones from
the net.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>