Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:53:45 EDT
From:      "Tom Hines" <tomhines2@hotmail.com>
To:        djohnson@acuson.com, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Advocacy...

>What's the best way to counter the continual FUD that the GPL protects
>software better than the BSD license?

You can't counter it because it's true.  The GPL has an important
restriction that BSD doesn't -- it requires all modifications to the code
that are redistributed are done so under the same license.  That protects
the software.

I don't know if the GPL is the reason that companies are jumping on the
Linux bandwagon or not, but I can see why it might be more attractive to a
company offering support services, or to a company that just wants to make a
contribution without fear of it getting hijacked, like SGI with XFS
(http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/license.html).

Why do you think that's FUD?

On the other hand, I see no reason why FreeBSD can't get a bandwagon going,
and with the merger of BSDI and Walnut Creek, I hope that happens.

<ducking and covering>
Tom H.