Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 12:38:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org (Free BSD Multimedia List)
Subject:   mixer device not configured ?

	I am in the process of setting up a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT to run
	3.1-STABLE. I have set up the sound devices in the kernel config file
	as follows:

	controller  snd0
	device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1

	dmesg reports the following:

	sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
	NOTE! SB Pro support required with your soundcard!
	snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.2>

	"say" works, but is not very loud. So I went to turn up the volume,
	only to get:

	mixer: SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK: Device not configured

	/dev/mixer exsits as follows:

	lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  6 Apr  2 21:35 /dev/mixer -> mixer0
	crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   0 Apr  2 21:35 /dev/mixer0

	What am I missing here? Is there a mixer device that I need to add to
	the kernel config file? A look throuhg lint, and the handbook did not
	seem to indicate that there was.

	Thanks for the help on this.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    843-745-3154