Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 00:41:04 +0100
From:      Lukas Wunner <lukas@design.de>
To:        "Bryn Wm. Moslow" <bryn@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jayk@nwlink.com
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940/Seagate Failures

Hi,

> The people who DO seem to be having problems are running the 2940
> under heavy load conditions and having to power cycle servers at horrible
> times like myself.

I have two 2940's in my baby news.seicom.net, each with four disks
attached to it. This is a 2.2.2 machine running under extremely heavy load
(probably something like 30GB i/o per day would seem reasonable). All
I can say is that it works like a charm. I usually get uptimes of up to 70
days. The only problems I have noticed are occasional error messages like

> ahc1: WARNING no command for scb 6 (cmdcmplt)
> QOUTCNT == 14
> ahc1: WARNING no command for scb 6 (cmdcmplt)
> QOUTCNT == 13
> ahc1: WARNING no command for scb 6 (cmdcmplt)
[...]
> QOUTCNT == 2
> ahc1: WARNING no command for scb 6 (cmdcmplt)
> QOUTCNT == 1
> ahc1: WARNING no command for scb 6 (cmdcmplt)
> QOUTCNT == 1

As these seem to be harmless, I didn't try to find out what caused
them.

	Lukas.

--
lukas wunner         unix, internetworking and security engineer
lukas@wunner.de      LW26-RIPE      http://www.wunner.de/~lukas/