Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:18:28 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugh...long usernames

> From discussions held on this matter in the past, my understanding is that
> UT_NAMESIZE in <utmp.h> and MAXLOGNAME in <sys/param.h> are the numbers to
> change. So I change both of those numbers to 16, make the world, and hope
> everything works. Any caveats?

That is correct, and from what I've heard from others, it just seems to
work.

Maybe it's time for us to consider a new default?  The fact that
BSD/OS has upped this limit for awhile makes me think that we could
probably get away with it as well, and I'd hate to be the last OS on
the block with 8 character username limits - sort of like being the
last OS with 14 character filename limits again, or something. :-)

						Jordan