Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:58:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: heads up? ssh, krb5-realm.{com,net}

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:13:47 -0700 (PDT), David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com> said:
>
> > This problem just started showing up for us today. Apparently, the openssh
> > that comes with 4.2-R has some strange bug in that it looks up krb5-realm
> > in DNS even though no Kerberos server was ever configured in any file on
> > the system. (Dangerous to have this default, no?)
>
> Your DNS resolver is mis-configured; you're probably using a `domain
> foo.com' in /etc/resolv.conf when you should have said `search
> foo.com' instead.  It is never correct to include a TLD in your search
> list.
>
> -GAWollman

We don't have 'domain foo.com' in our resolv.conf. Here's what we have
(with some data masked):

search  hosting.foo.net foo.net
nameserver      207.246.xx.yy
nameserver      207.246.xx.zz

No TLD is in our search list. Kerberos (SSH's implementation, probably)
was doing the lookups by chopping off each part of the hostname and then
pre-pending krb5-realm .