Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:18:29 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>, bmah@FreeBSD.org, chris@unixpages.org, ceri@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HTML2TXT

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Jim Mock wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 10:31  AM, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > For testing purposes, in my local doc tree I have changed links with
> > w3m.  So far things work nicely, but I'm not sure what it takes to
> > push a conversion from links to w3m in the textproc/docproj port.
>
> We actually used w3m after the initial lynx switch, but dumped it for
> links due to w3m's dependency on boehm-gc.

I know.  it was me that asked a few months back if it was possible to
switch to w3m again.  I recall it was O'Brien who explained to me that
w3m seemed to have issues on non-x86 platforms in the past that pretty
much mandated the change to something else.

I actually like the text output of links1.  It's just annoying that it
doesn't work correctly with anything else but iso-8859-1.  If it gets
too annoying I might actually try to patch it locally and try to make
a port-diff that we could maintain against the official links1 sources
in our Ports collection.  This is not something I like doing for 3rd
party programs when they are moving targets, because of the extra
merging work it creates for future versions, but links1 is not
actively maintaned afaik now that links version 2 is out.

In fact, I'll try later tonight to read the links1 sources and see how
difficult something like this would be.  If it seems something that I
can tackle in a day or two, I'll try a full doc build in freefall
later this week to see how it works with non-iso-8859-1 docs.