Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:05:59 +0000
From:      Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        Bob Johnson <bob89@wb4jcm.org>
Subject:   Re: Installation - More user friendly

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 09:53:15AM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >=20
> > On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:28:03PM -0500, JJB wrote:
> > > Right at the beginning of sysinstall should be warning  about what
> > > to set PC bios options to, like plugNplay off, power management
> > > off, boot time virus check disabled, PCI irq assignments set to
> > > auto, OS type set to non-windows, ect. Give then option to cancel
> > > sysinstall to set bios.
> >=20
> > Or, alternatively, we could just put a URL to the documentation...
>=20
> That works if it can read locally, can sysinstall handle html?  If it
> must go out to the net, can it do that?    Probably not at that stage.
> Many of us can not afford to have an extra machine around to read
> online documentation while doing an install.  The install is on the
> only machine we have.

I was making the point that few people read the documentation /before/
they pop the CD in the drive.

  If a lot of people (I'm not saying this is you, at all) bothered to do
this it really would save them a lot of hassle.  As for PnP, IRQ
assignments, etc. -- these would /all/ be sorted /before/ the disc was
booted from.

  Your idea is quite nice though -- the Handbook could easily be
converted to plaintext and fired up on a virtual terminal.

-lewiz.

--=20
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple@lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz@jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr--