Date:      12 Nov 1997 17:58:28 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        Mark Segal <mark@club-web.com>, marcin@v-m.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WWW Search Engine

Marcin Pasek wrote:

> One of my costumers want's to run his own WWW search engine just like (
> Yahoo, or infoseek...he want's to focus just on one topic and not on
> indexing the WWW. Are there any good products out there ready to use out
> of the box?

The Stronghold product (commercial Apache + SSLeay with RSA crypto
license; see www.c2.net) comes with "swish" and "wwwwais". Although it
bugs me to pay for SW available on the net for free, at $1000 the
thing practically installs itself, comes with a free SSL certificate
from Thawte.com, and has the best docs I've seen on Apache and
SSL. Depends on how much your time is worth. The admin GUI is kinda
nice, too, but I'm an emacs-kind-of-guy...

Now your question states "like InfoSeek". This implies a "robot" which
goes to remote web sites and pulls their data. Swish, wwwwais,
glimpse, and the other products mentioned here only do docs on the
local system. Perhaps glimpse can be configged to pull remote docs, I
haven't been interested in it since the Harvest Project died and
glimpse became licensed tech. (like gated and MERIT radius, but that's
another rant)-: