Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:07:50 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
Cc:        ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tivo Series 1 (PowerPC 403GCX)

Geoff Buckingham wrote:

> I notice there are a lot of 'diskless' series 1 tivos on ebay ATM. They
> even seem to have the correct cables for a serial console...
>
> However I suspect that the IBM PowerPC 403GCX and 'odd' hardware config is
> likely to make them an unrealistic porting target at this point in time. Coul
> some one confirm?
>
> Don't know if they have open firmware either?

I know a fair bit about the hardware.  The firmware is home-grown.  The
cpu has lots of quirks.  If you read the sheer volume of hacks that the
tivo folks did to make linux work on it (http://www.tivo.com/linux/) you
might get a little more scared.

Dont get me wrong, it would be a fantastic 'fun' project, but certainly is
going to qualify as a hell of a challenge.

Cheers,
-Peter