Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:02:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2 Beta hang on warm boot

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Jim Weeks wrote:

# I had a simular situation on an old 486.  I wish I had kept all the
# output, but as best I can remember the problem stemmed from ed0 not being
# able to clear shared memory on reboot.  I did keep this line.
#
# ed0: failed to clear shared memory at d8000 - check configuration
#
# Of course you are not getting this far during reboot. Maybe someone with
# more knowledge can pick up the ball here.
#
# Possibly, configuring ed0 in the kernel rather than in /boot/kernel.conf
# would solve the problem.

	A couple people had pointed me in that direction.  Although I'd
used the card in the past, I went ahead and pulled it out.  After doing
that it worked fine.  Even though I never got the "failed to clear shared
memory" error, the nic seemed to have been the problem.