Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:47:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha Install - oops!

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Simon Shapiro writes:
>  >
>  > Andrew Gallatin, On 31-Aug-98 you wrote:
>  >
>  > >  I think you may have more luck if you power-cycle the box.  When I've
>  > >  seen this under NetBSD/alpha, I suspected it was caused by the IDE
>  > >  controller acting as a noise generator, and was able to cure it by
>  > >  disabling the ide controller.
>  >
>  > How?
>  >
>  > (I think there is a problem we may want to solve here, still)
>  >
>  > ...
>
> Under NetBSD, simply leaving all references to the ide controller out
> of the config file did the trick.  Under NetBSD, the ide controller
> got sort of half-attached -- enough for the isa irq to be enabled, but
> no devices on the controller were successfully attached.
>
> Doug - Does the ISA code disable all/most interrupts at boot time, or
> does it leave things as it found them?  I'm worried the console
> firmware might be leaving the ide ISA irq enabled on Simon's machine.

I don't mask out all the ISA interrupts when I initialise the ISA bus.  I
think that is probably what is going wrong.  The current theory is that
booting NetBSD first leaves something enabled (probably the irq) which I
can't cope with.  I'm having trouble testing this idea this morning since
I can't seem to get NetBSD work properly.  The GENERIC kernel from 1.3F
shows the same slow printing effect as Simon had with FreeBSD.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039