Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2023 20:37:22 +0200
From:      Felix Palmen <zirias@freebsd.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: plist-check not reporting orphaned files present in a @comment

--thzncskf3s5zvj2r

* Felix Palmen <zirias@freebsd.org> [20230816 20:26]:
> * Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org> [20230816 20:20]:
> > Looks intentional per https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/?id=3De1544=
9a9eff5
> >=20
> > >    - Fix showing files installed through unselected OPTIONS as orphan=
s,
> > >      by considering "@comment file" to be ignored. [2]
> > [...]
> > > [2] This is a partial solution, we may still need a plist.ignore too.=
 It
> > >     doesn't make much sense to add files in main pkg-plist we don't c=
are about,
> > >     but maybe it does since you'll see and reconsider them being igno=
red
> > >     someday. @comment is used as all the OPTION PLIST_SUB deactivatio=
ns use
> > >     @comment instead of something like @ignore.
>=20
> [...]
> Yes, this is at best a partial solution. It's probably fine for options
> cause there's always the case that something *is* built/installed by the
> upstream build system and you still don't want to package it. It really
> breaks things for my current use case though.
> [...]

On a second thought, doesn't it acually break more than it solves?

Sure, you *could* think about some explicit '@ignore' alongside
'@comment' with different semantics, but, isn't it more or less a corner
case that you don't want to package some files (based on port options)
but can't prevent the upstream build system from putting them in
${STAGEDIR}?

IMHO, the straight-forward solution would be: A port hit by that should
add some "post-install-<opt>" (or -off) recipe explicitly removing the
unwanted files from ${STAGEDIR}.

--=20
 Felix Palmen <zirias@FreeBSD.org>     {private}   felix@palmen-it.de
 -- ports committer --                     {web}  http://palmen-it.de
 {pgp public key}  http://palmen-it.de/pub.txt
 {pgp fingerprint} 6936 13D5 5BBF 4837 B212  3ACC 54AD E006 9879 F231

--thzncskf3s5zvj2r

--thzncskf3s5zvj2r--