Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:26:35 PST
From:      "Cosmic 665" <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CMI18330 Config CHAOS

Someone earlier asked about how to configure a CMI18330 soundcard.  This is
a Cmedia or "SoundPro" Chipset.  I have the soundcard and I'm now trying to
configure it.  here are the problems I'm having.

I use the following in my kernel:
controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

and it compiles.  then I add the following to my /kernel.config
USERCONFIG
pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 0 drq1 1 port0 0x220 port1 0x300 port2 0x388
pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x201
quit

add I add this to my /boot.conf

load /kernel
load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config
autoboot

when I do the following I get *something similar to this*:
NOTE! SB Pro support required with your soundcard!
snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>

when I go to run enlightenment with sound it hangs (ok I expect this.. it's
not using the correct driver).  This chipset is windows sound system
compatible and sound blaster compatible.  when I configure my kernel with
the following (keeping all the other varibles I have explained up above):

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device mss0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 10 drq 3

I goto run enlightenment I get Kernel errors about a conflicting dma
channel.  If I swap drq 3 to 1 on the mss0 and drq 1 to 3 on the sb0 I still
get trouble.  also, I tried using the pcm driver.  The problem with the pcm
driver is when I do "sh ./MAKEDEV pcm0 pcm1", It says:

pcm0 - no such device name
pcm1 - no such device name

how can I make a pcmx device node???   I know it's possible and I've done it
before.  I was initially running 3.4-RELEASE then I cvsuped to 3.4-STABLE (I
just love "make-world" code as it compiles on my K6-2 333MHz :P).  If I can
./MAKEDEV pcm0 pcm1, then I can get this card to work.  I would then have to
change my kernel to:

controller pnp0
device pcm0 at pnp?

and add the following to /boot/loader.rc:

\ initialize pnp
pnpscan

this should work..  I configured *both* my ESS 1868 & 1869 this way.  BUT I
CAN'T MAKE THE $&*#!!!! pcm0 or pcm1 device nodes!!! can anyone help me out
here???....  and I don't mean a suggesting 1 bullet and a pistol :P

-cosmic-665