Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:06:35 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, wade <wade@wavefire.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0 Freezes under high load with SMP.

Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, wade wrote:
> > > Although GENERIC functions perfectly, when I enable SMP in GENERIC, the box
> > > freezes during big build jobs ( i.e. buildworld. ).  This box functioned
> > > well in SMP mode und 4.7-STABLE.  The big problem is that freezing does not
> > > leave core files or any other debugging information.
> > >
> > > Hardware:
> > >   ASUS CUV4X-D
> > >   2 X PIII 600 MHz Coppermine.
> > >   512 MB 133MHz RAM.
>
> Interesting, as I have been trying the last 3 days to reproduce freezes
> that people reported on 5.0 on (specifically) the ASUS BP6 mainboard.
>
> I ran continuous make -j16 buildworlds to see if I could break it, but
> no luck (or very good luck, depends on your perspective ;-)

Compare CPU steppings, BIOS revisions, advanced BIOS setups,
amount of L2 cache, and amount of Physical RAM, as well as
any special hardware.

My perspective on this is that, from the brevity of the report,
this could be anything causing, up to and including that it's a
bad keyboard, and the keyboard driver is hanging, but the OS is
fine.

-- Terry