Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:17:47 -0400
From:      starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
To:        CS.cmu.edu!moto@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   process migration or DSM

>I'm planning to do some research about distributed systems, especially
>in the field like process migration/replication, distributed shared
>memory, load balancing (or any other interesting things). I'd like to
>use FreeBSD as a test bed for this purpose. The reason why I'd choose
>FreeBSD rather than other existing experimental OSes is that I'd like
>to do something useful and practical. If you know someone who is doing
>related things, please let me know. Any information (tech pointer,
>suggestion, disagreement or whatever) will also be appreciated. Thanks!

I have written an experimental distributed shared memory system that runs
under FreeBSD 1.1.5.1.  I was planning on making it available on the net,
but I have not found the time to do the sort of more extensive exercising
of it that I wanted to do before releasing it (also, I made the mistake
of trying to get a student to write the exerciser programs for it and I
didn't get anything useful out of it).  Of course, now there is also the
issue of porting it to 2.1.

I am still interested in working on this, and if I heard that there were
people who were really interested, that might motivate me to give it a
higher priority.

							- Gene Stark