Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 18:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP <FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache-FP-SSL Port

> The following is untested:
>
> - FrontPage - edit/add/modify FP webs using the secure server
>
> The reason I can't test this is because I don't have a certificate with a
> valid CA.
> When I try to access the secure server with FrontPage I receive the
> following warning:
>
> "FrontPage is unable to establish a secure connection with the server,
> because the server's SSL certificate is either invalid, or issued by an
> untrusted certificate authority"

If FrontPage works anything like SSL-capable browsers, you should
be able to install the CA certificate into the client and set it
as a trusted authority.  Then FronPage should accept your server's
certificate.

If you are using a self-issued certificate, you can install it
into clients by putting a link in your insecure server.  The link
should be to your self-issued CA certificate in DER form.  (NOTE:
It's the CA certificate, not the server certificate.)  The only
potentially tricky part is that you need to ensure that the file
will be sent as application/x-x509-ca-cert.  If you have as-is
handling turned on, you can simply call the file something like
'my-CA-cert.der.asis', make the link use http="my-CA-cert.der".

(As-is handling is turned on by the following line in your server
config:

	AddHandler send-as-is asis

The first line of the file should contain the Content-Type: header:

The second line should be blank; and the rest of the file is the
binary DER format certificate.  When a client browser clicks on
the link, the user will be presented with an opportunity to accept
add the certificate to their database.

At least that's how it works with Netscape.  With M$ products,
your milage is very likely to vary...

-Pat