Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 14:37:47 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java applet gets no keystrokes?

> > OK.  You don't show any errors creating the logfile now; what changed?
>
> I decided to be a rootly kind of fellow. :)

Sounds like it's owned by root so you can't write to it now.  But I'm
just guessing.

> > The vnc server is just a hacked up X server; this is it complaining
> > about your fonts.  Are you using compressed or gzipped fonts?  I "fixed"
> > it to do gzipped ones, perhaps I broke it for compressed fonts?
>
> I'm using compressed fonts (old version of XIG on that box that doesn't
> do gzipped fonts).

Hrrm.  I can't see anything in the code that should have broken with
compressed vs. gzipped fonts.

... just tested it here with uncompressed, compressed and gzipped
fonts.  Works on all three.

> It won't run at all if I don't run it as root.  I get the error about
> trying to write to X.log (although it has permissions to write there
> obviously).

There's something really weird going on here.  8(

Can you check that *all* of the font directories that it says it's
checking actually exist?  If one or more are missing, it'll screw up
like you're seeing.  If that's the case, edit the vncserver script and
set the fontpath by hand...