Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 16:31:22 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP, Intel PR440FX, cpu monitoring, etc

> Okay.  For those who can't seem to find the machine I'm talking about
> at insight, the URL is:
>
> http://www.insight.com/cgi-bin/bp/1480860161/web/technote.html?a=f&f=p&d=TODT102
> 6U

Ooh, I want me one.  8)

> I just ordered a second one of these $800 boxes yesterday, and I think
> they still have a thousand left in stock (that's with just the single
> PPro, of course, for SMP you'd have to buy another processor).  I
> imagine it is to my advantage to have many many of these sold to
> freebsd folks, as it will increase the number of people interested
> in freebsd support for them  :-)

They ought to Just Work.

> But I really was interested in whether there's anything I need to
> watch out for when buying the second processor, in case I want to try
> for SMP in the fall,

Should be nothing special.  Make sure you're buying the processor
sooner rather than later, as they're getting harder to get.

> and whether there's a way to read the temperature
> sensors inside the box while freebsd is running.

I believe someone's already written code to talk to the LM78, if not,
you could dig out the specs and do it pretty easily.  There's a Linux
driver that's supposed to do this (didn't work too well when I tried
it).