Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 14:08:00 -1000, EST
From:      "PETER STUBBS" <PETERS@staidan.qld.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   harvest cached configuration question

Hi all,

I've got harvest cached v1.4 running with CERN httpd, but there are a
couple of things I can't make sence of.

I'm running the server in a school, so CERN's ability to ban sites is
a must. The host machine is also a firewall, so I was using CERN to
proxy as well. These are my three needs, caching, banning and
proxying. CERN will do all three, but it's slow & buggy.

I configured cached as a cache accelerator, but it gave an error when
I used it. The error said that the request was in the wrong format.
When I make it a proxy accelerator, it works fine, but doesn't pass
the requests that aren't in the cache to CERN, it just goes & fetches
them by itself. It does go to CERN only if the requested info is on
the local server.

The other problem is that it clears out its cache when it's
restarted. I'd *much* rather keep the cached info.

Anyone got some ideas? I've tried to RTFM, but to no use.

TIA
Peter

Peter Stubbs, St Aidan's AGS.
ph +61-07-3379-9911, fax +61-07-3379-9432