Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 18:17:22 +0000
From:      samuel <SAMIGWE@worldnet.att.net>
To:        Gabor Kincses <gabor@acm.org>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (yet again)

Gabor Kincses wrote:

> OK, I took the CDs and a boot floppy (all 2.2.5) to my friends' house to
> install FreeBSD on their brand new Dell box.
>
> As it turns out they have a 6.4G as primary master and an ATAPI CD-ROM
> device as secondary master.  There is also an ATAPI ZIP in it (the BIOS
> didn't report its location).  The wcd0 probe was hanging quite a bit and
> in the end the CD-ROM wasn't recognized.
>
> Since I can't just rejumper and rewire their brand new computer without
> them throwing me out, I'm stuck.  They'd like FreeBSD, but they don't
> understand the benefits, yet, so at this point this is a very hard
> sell.  Would 2.2.6 be a cure for this?
>
> Thanks,

At the expense of stating the obvious, is the secondary ide port
available and enabled in the system BIOS. the problem may just be
something as simple as entering the BIOS and enabling the secondary
port(ide). I faced a similar problem with my system. I foolishly forgot
to enable the secondary port and Freebsd skipped the ide cdrom
(secondary master ) initilization.

btw I use 2.2.5 and it works flawlessly (as far as I can tell)

good luck!
Samuel Igwe

--
Samuel Igwe