Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:09:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        bra@fsn.hu (Attila Nagy)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Checksum offload support for Intel 82550/82551

> Hello,
>
> > Yes, it's me. I'm still alive.
> It's great to hear that one of the most talented FreeBSD hackers is back
> in business :)
>
> Does this means that you can afford some time to investigate the problems
> regarding your old software?

Not unless it's something I can fix using easily available resources.
I can't easily drop everything and slap together a test setup with
exactly the right software and hardware I need to debug everyone's
particular problem. ("This bug only occurs in -CURRENT as of 30
seconds ago and on an UltraSPARC 10 with 16 if_dc interfaces and
I need you to fix it _NOW_ pleasepleasepleaseI'llevengiveyouahandjob.")

> I mean ng_fec primarily, because I couldn't get help in the past few
> months/years(?)...
>
> You may know, or not it is now part of FreeBSD, the only problem is that
> it does not work.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

> I filed a PR (kern/46720) about a month ago, but haven't gotten too much
> response back. On these lists I think there is a consensus (search the
> archives :) that the FEC implementation is a good thing.

This particular PR relates to using ng_fec with BPF (i.e. tcpdump fec0
blows up). The code has evidently rotted quite a bit since it was imported.
I just fixed it.

> Another problem, which I faced years ago that if you want to use .1q
> tagged packets on a FEC interface, it just does not works.

I don't know if this is still a problem or not. At the moment, I have
no easy way to test it.

> There are more verbose details on these lists too.
> Are there any chances to get these fixed?

Like I said, it depends on time and availability of resources.

-Bill