Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:10:32 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@darla.swimsuit.roskildebc.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bytes gets substituted on write

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 01:06:04AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:
> Here I go again:
>
> When copying a large file, suddenly 8 bytes in a row gets substituted
> with 0xff!
> When I repeat the copy, it's the same 8 bytes.

Where are they in the block?

> It also happens, when I either use ftp on this machine to get a file
> or use ftp on another to put the file.
> System: 486dx33Mhz, 8MB ram, Old Adaptec, 4 scsi's, the one with fbsd
> is a maxtor "scsi-0".

Would the controller be a 154[02]A?  People have seen this before.  I
can't recall, but I seem to think that 8 bytes is about the reconnect
length for the controller.  Are they located on 8-byte boundaries?

Try tweaking your controller parameters.  I don't know if this would
help, but it could help us work out what's wrong here.

Greg