Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:36:28 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Cc:        Jason Slack <slackmoehrle@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FreeBSD Questions

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 07:04:43AM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Jason Slack wrote:
>> I want to try version 7 as it has items of interest to me, but I am not=
=20
>> one
>> to continually wipe and reload my machine, can you upgrade from the test
>> releases of 7 available now to the final release when ready? Or do you=
=20
>> have
>> to wipe?
>>  =20
> You can easily upgrade from 7.0-BETA to 7.0-RELEASE without erasing your=
=20
> drive.   Historically, FreeBSD has always been upgradeable even through=
=20
> major releases, 4 to 5, 5 to 6.  Sometimes that has been more painful tha=
n=20
> others.  Upgrading within a major release, 6.1 to 6.2, has always been=20
> pretty easy.

Remember to remove old files and libraries with `make delete-old' and
`make delete-old-libs' as explained in /usr/src/Makefile.

It is advisable to remove and install your ports from scratch when
upgrading to a new major version, because the automatic port updating
tools don't always do this correctly.

Roland
--=20

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs