Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 03:41:50 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

Vincent Poy scribbled this message on Apr 14:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
> > > 	Hmm, will a K5 run as well as a P5 though?  Since it might be
> > > faster but what about compatibility issues?  As for the ethernet card,
> >
> > well...  as I said I haven't any personal experience... I think I heard
> > that it works perfectly fine...
>
> 	Hmm, besides not being an Intel, what is the main differences
> between the AMD and the Intel?

I would say it's the price... :) I run one of their AMD 5x86/133 processors..
the only reason they rate the processor at P75 is because it doesn't have the
memory bandwidth that a petium has...  it out performs a friends P90 according
to Norton Sysinfo's CPU Benchmark...

the best place to get more specific info would be to visit AMD's home page...

[...]

> > > terminal server?  Now how much does the multiport cards cost?
> >
> > you'll probably want to run with 16megs though...  but most of my memory
> > is taken up by gated... you also have to realize that when running.. most of
> > the pages for the executable will be shared...  so you shouldn't have to have
> > more than a couple 100k per port...  right now my terminal server has 1meg
> > free and it's serving four port...  (and it's running gated, plus a raw
> > getty for serial console logins)...
>
> 	Hmmm, I don't think 16 megs is enough these days for anything
> especially when it's doing something like this.

well.. if your running a terminal server.. I'm pretty sure 16megs would be
more than plenty...  remeber there isn't that much data that is used in a
terminal server... you will only end up with a max of 100k per port.. and
that means you can have around 80 ports in 8megs of ram...  leaving the
rest for other stuff.. and that 100k per port figure is being overly
generous...

> > > 	This is only if I can figure out how to get gated working. =)
> >
> > heh... it's actually not THAT hard to get working once you do...  just
> > browse the mailing list archives... I posted an example gated.conf file
> > a few weeks ago...
>
> 	I guess things are always hard until you do it a few times or even
> the first time.  I saw your example gated.conf file but am still a bit
> confused on how to get it setted up correctly.

heh..  know what you mean...  I haven't played much with it...  I just got
that config file working.. and haven't played with it since.. :)

> > > 	I thought you had a T1 but 56k would cost $5k already?
> >
> > I could pull a T1 for 5k.. but I wouldn't have any money to pay for more
> > than the first month of server...  which would be hard to start out with a
> > income of $1k+/month.. :)
>
> 	Hmmm, that is a good reason but wouldn't a 56k not have enough
> bandwidth for the modems?

well... if your starting out it should be fine for 5-10 modems.. though you
will EASYLY over load it.. especially if more than one or two people decide
to startup a ftp session...  and once you have the 5-10 modems.. you're very
close to getting the 1k a month for T1...  and in the mean time... you can
go fract t1...

> > > 	Hmmm, via microwave?  Now that must cost them something to do that
> > > but isn't microwave slower than actual cable?
> >
> > from what I hear it doesn't have a higher latency...  and actually if the
> > FCC would allow them they could easily run over 1.544mbit...  the only real
> > cost is the FCC license to run it...  plus in some ways it's more reliable
> > than cable as you don't have to worry about the cable being dug up.. :)
> > this is only some info that I remeber hearing from a short discussions about
> > alternate providers locally...
>
> 	What is the speed the microwave runs at?  A T1 actually runs

I don't know exactly...  this is all from a short conversation about
alternate providers...  (and now I can't even remeber the provider's name :( )

> 1.536Mbps only.  I just wished there was a way to hook up ethernet cable
> to the NSP as they are only 1.5 blocks away.

well... talk to 'em... there might be a way... either with the telco running
dry copper for you or some way else... then you can use something like
etinc's bandwidth limiter to limit the bandwidth you will push/get...

ttyl...

--
  John-Mark
  Cu Networking                             Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD