Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 2020 17:18:04 -0600
From:      Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bsdio.com>
To:        junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        bsd-lists@BSDforge.com
Subject:   Re: When will the FreeBSD (u)EFI work?

On 3/29/20 6:11 AM, Tomoaki AOKI wrote:

> 3. based solution looks good to me.
>
> IMHO, assuming /efi/bootx[64|32].efi is boot1.efi or loader.efi
> or EFI environment pointing to either one is properly used,

That's another thing: we should be installing loader.efi as
\efi\boot\bootx64.efi (as well as \boot\freebsd\loader.efi) since it's
entirely possible to lose the Boot Manager entry and end up with an
unbootable system as a result. Unfortunately people have had bad
experiences with other operating systems overwriting bootx64.efi and
don't believe we should do that.

Perhaps I just need to come up with a proof of concept or demo to show
that it is possible without breaking other OSes.

--
Rebecca Cran