Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 23:46:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
Cc:        richard@pegasus.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

> > I can't agree with this...  Just figuring out a way to *power* 200
> > modems in a standalone config is a nightmare.
>
> No, it's not. Multi-Tech has a rack with redundant power supplies. Supra
> has one too (though without the redundancy).
>
> --Brett

That's fine if you have purchased the Multi-Tech or Supra modems...  But
finding a transformer with one primary and many secondaries (*Don't try
one big transformer, BAD things will happen to your modems involving
smoke) to power your non-rack-supported modems is really tough.  the time
I spent dealing with electronics suppliers and the prices I was quoted;
well, I could have just bought a few Ascends...  The Courier solution
sounds really nice for 50-ish modems; one could even put big PBX
connectors on the back to tidy up the phone lines, and Xylogics now has
optional cables that keep the 6 RS232's together and just terminate in
another PBX-style connector.  A handy person could make a neat cabinet
with alot of spare time.  But I still like the idea of a rack that can
"take care of itself" and busy lines when a modem fries.  None of the
individual modem solutions offer this, and while the Couriers that we have
perform extraordinarily well (only one has bit it in 2 years), they are
pretty pricey when compared to an all-in-one,
plug-some-T's-in-the-back-and-go solutions.  Used equipment can be a good
thing.

Charles