Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:16:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Strains

Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de> types:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Benjamin Flom wrote:
> > I am involved in planning the beginnings of an ISP. We plan to do
> > web/ftp/streaming media/transactions/remote storage/etc....
> > I am trying to understand the differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSD
> > Lite, OpenBSD, etc. Any info that can be provided would be helpful.
> FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are based on 4.4BSD Lite.

BSD Lite is really only of historical interest. BSD proper came from
the Computer Systems Research Group at UCB (whence the B in BSD),
primarily including the code they had an ARPA grant to develop, but
including code from lots of other places. A number of things happened
that caused CSRG to disband and stop distributing code. The various
other BSDs (Free, Open, Net and BSDi) have continued development from
that point, and those are the ones you should consider.

Since no one else has mentioned it, BSDi is the commercial
variant. You can get source and an unlimited install license, but it
also has commercial support if that makes the managers happy.

	<mike