Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:04:43 -0400
From:      Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
To:        chet@po.CWRU.Edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

> > I'd like to see zsh pushed for inclusion into the contrib tree; it's small,
> > beautiful, and inclusive (in that it understands a fair amount of csh as
> > well as sh syntax).
>
> Wow.  This is the first time I've ever heard zsh described as `small'
> and `beautiful'.  (FWIW, I don't think I'd describe bash that way,
> either, no matter how drunk I was.)

zsh and bash are pretty large, as shell go.  I haven't counted recently,
but I remember that zsh had about 10 times the lines of code as the
shell `rc'.  I think bash is about the same.

Also, the code in zsh, is a monument to hacking.  The code is almost
unpenetrable in some places.  That's primarily due to the command
line completion (it's very hard to get the amount of context sensitivity
that zsh has).

--
Richard Coleman (former maintainer of zsh)
coleman@math.gatech.edu