Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:22:17 +0100
From:      Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, delta@lackas.net
Subject:   Re: ports/security/vpnc vs built-in IPSec?

Andrew Reilly wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I used ports/security/vpnc with some success some time ago, but
> then stopped because I didn't need it.  Since then I've
> upgraded my -STABLE many times, and portupgrade has upgraded
> vpnc at least once, and now it doesn't seem to work anymore.
> I've been poking it quite vigerously, this afternoon, without
> much success: I can start it from the command line, with
> debugging turned on and no-disconnect from the control terminal,
> and can see from the debug trace that connection, authentication and
> network route setup all seem perfect.  Just no packets ever seem
> to get through the tun0 link.

I'm running -CURRENT so the situation isnt identical but vpnc works fine
here. this is though NAT with  vpnc-0.4.0_1

{root@prawn}#vpnc
add host 80.169.168.42: gateway 192.168.10.2
add net 10.49.11.0: gateway 10.100.223.50
add net 10.44.19.0: gateway 10.100.223.50
VPNC started in background (pid: 24376)...
[~](14:19:30)
{root@prawn}#!ftp
-su: !ftp: event not found
[~](14:19:32)
{root@prawn}#ftp 10.49.11.252
Connected to 10.49.11.252.
220 Access to this system is restricted to authorised users only. If you
are not authorised please disconnect now. All transfers are logged.
Name (10.49.11.252:jhary): ^C

[~](14:20:07)
{root@prawn}#vpnc-disconnect
Terminating vpnc daemon (pid: 24376)

> Now, I remember from long ago that vpnc does not like IPSec in
> the kernel, because (from memory) the kernel gets to the esp
> packets before vpnc (which handles them in user-space), and the
> wrong thing happens.  The difference, now, seems to be that
> there is no longer a config option to disable IPSEC.  Or is
> there?
>
> Is there any way to disable kernel IPSEC in 6-STABLE?

Its not enabled in GENERIC, so you wont have IPSEC Unless you have built
a custom kernel.

Cant offer much beyond that though I'm afraid. Has it setup the routing
correctly?

sorry i cant help more,
Vince