Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:18:22 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        van Roekel <roekel@mt.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd roms on install

van Roekel wrote:

> This rang my bell
>
> I am completely new to FBSD and UNIX etc. Trying to get started I cannot
> see ANY reference to CDROMs in the kernel  configuration of the boot
> floppies. The book says matcd0 (Matshishita/Panasonic 562) is supported but
> the configuration menu does not seem to cater for multimedia. The darn
> entry is empty. FreeBD 4.2.

This is definitely a question for freebsd-questions, and not
freebsd-newbies. But to give you a direction to look, here are some
tips: you don't need multimedia to install FreeBSD with, but you do need
the CDROM. Look for CDROM's in the configuration menu. If all else
fails, it is still possible to load a kernel module at boot time, but
that topic is way beyond this forum.

I mentioned that I have problems during install with my CDROM. This is
speculation on my part because I have not bothered to track down the
actual cause. It is certainly not related to your problem. What happens
is that the install will freeze occasionally during a CD read (with some
errors printed out on the console). I have learned to do a minimum
install, and install any other distributions or packages after I boot
into the OS. Only the installer has this problem, not the installed OS.

David