Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:00:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Grigsby <grigsby@citizen1.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, gism@isot.isot.com
Subject:   Re: DNS Problem Again

>Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:54:54 -0500
>To: freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
>From: Global Internet Shopping Mall <gism@isot.isot.com>
>Subject: DNS Problem Again
>Sender: owner-isp@FreeBSD.org
>
>I got me a 2G IDE and reinstalled 2.1.  I configured it same as I did
>before, but now I can ping by IP but by name.  Also the nslookup will
>display server name with 0.0.0.0 IP when first ran instead of 206.24.68.15.
>And can't lookup up anyone else but <multibyte.multibyte.com> and its
>canical names.
>
>I looked over the DNS configuration, and can't seem to find error.  Its very
>close to one in isot.isot.com and ORA's DNS book.
>
>In /etc/sysconfig, I got the hostname=multibyte.multibyte.com and
>defaultrouter=isot.isot.com which are tied in by ethernet.
>
>Am I missing anything else?

The file /etc/resolv.conf lists the nameservers the machine will
query.  A line such as "nameserver 0.0.0.0" just means "use the
name service running locally."

It sounds like you might not have a db.cache file, which lists
the root name servers (those for the root domain ".") -- the
nameservers your named should ask when it doesn't know where else to go.

In your named.boot file you should have a line something like this

cache   .   db.cache

where db.cache is a file that lists the addresses of the root name servers.

Scott