Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 10:09:53 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John De Boskey <jwd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Arch List <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftpd ESTALE recovery patch

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:44:51PM -0500, John De Boskey wrote:
> ----- David O'Brien's Original Message -----
> > On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 08:41:53AM -0800, John De Boskey wrote:
> > >    In a busy cluster, a generated file being handed out by
> > > ftp is failing due to an ESTALE condition. The following
> > > patch fixes the problem. Failure to open the file is also
> > > logged when -l is specified twice (see ftpd(8)).
> >
> > This really does seem like a specific problem of your environment; and
> > this patch is something that really only scratches an itch of yours due
> > to how you've setup your environment.
>
> I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. ESTALE is an errno that indicates
> that an application can retry an operation with success.

Then why does so little of our applications do anything when errno ==
ESTALE?

tcsh, sendmail, mail, amd, tcpdump, perl, and kerberosIV.

Tcsh just exits, so does mail.  sendmail treats it as a permanent
failure.  Tcpdump's usage of ESTALE is just to to be able to printout
more information about a sniffed packet.  Perl just passes ESTALE to
running scripts.  kerberosIV treats it the same as ENOENT.

> If you can provide a better loop/timeout mechanism, I will be glad
> to review and incorporate it.

It should not be committed until there is a more consistent handling of it
in of it in the /usr/src rather than just committing it peice meal to
only ftpd.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)