Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:25:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot loader and alternate kernels

> There are Forth implementations for x86 which take around 8kB. These
> implement the subset of CORE words only, but you can have a
> /boot/core-ext.4th, /boot/menus.4th, etc, etc... - all these would be
> added to dictionary at run-time. This includes also all sorts of
> conditionals, loops, help screens etc, etc... Imagine something like that:

It would be nice if a "tiny4th" interpreter could be written in C so
that it will port straight over to the alpha; I don't think a truly
minimal 4th set would be that large, even in a HLL like C.  Somebody
figured out what the truly minimal # of 4th words required for an
interpreter was at some point though I don't remember what it is - 8?
I figure if you have key, emit, ?terminal and fload, you've got enough
of an I/O system to make this work. :)  Except for atlast, TILE forth,
cforth and pratt forth, all of which are too large, what are our
options here anyway?

- Jordan