Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:52:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      bob@obiwan.pmr.com (Bob Willcox)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: swap always use at least 64KB ?

David Greenman wrote:

> >>   The first swap block is always pre-allocated. This was done to work around
> >>a problem with people putting their swap partition at the beginning of their
> >>disk (the system would happily try to destroy the label). I suppose it would
> >>be better to change swapinfo/pstat to not include the first block of swap
> >>space in its report.
> >
> >There must be bugs in the write protection of the label for that to happen.
> >
> >The diskslice "driver" snoops on writes to label sector(s) and rejects
> >writing of invalid labels even when write protection is off.
> >
> >Similar snooping is required for protecting the MBR and secondary BR's.
>
>    There were two manifestations. It would either destroy your label (I think
> this was in the SCSI case) or it would get EROFS when the swap pager tried to
> page something out to it. I think the 'destroy your label' problem was fixed
> awhile ago. Now the pager just fails with the EROFS. ...Anyway, the first
> chunk can't be used.

Would this explain these errors (the EROFS on SCSI) on my 1.1.5.1
system? If so, are they harmful?  I have been getting them for some
time (since I added the disk with the swap partition starting at
the beginning of the disk :-() but haven't been able to attribute
any other problems to them.

--
Bob Willcox
bob@obiwan.pmr.com (or obiwan%bob@uunet.uu.net)