Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:04:02 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does natd(8) really need to see _all_ packets?

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 06:44 pm, Wes Peters wrote:
= On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 08:42, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
= > On Monday 03 February 2003 08:19 pm, Wes Peters wrote:
= > = On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 05:27, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
= > = > Hi!
= > = >
= > = > This question bothered me for a while -- most of the traffic on
= > = > my LAN is just that -- local. Yet my gw/firewall machine only
= > = > has one interface -- with two IP addresses -- private and public
= > = > on it.
= > = >
= > = > The DSL modem is plugged into the switch just like everything
= > = > else.
= > = >
= > = > I doubt this is a unique setup.
= >
= > = It may not be unique, but it's certainly not very bright. What
= > = resource are you trying to conserve here, a $4 network interface?
= > = If so, I can give you a handful of them; one of the local office
= > = supply stores was giving them away last December and I picked up
= > = several...
= >
= > Using two cards, were one works fine is against aesthetics :-)
= > That's my primary reason, although there are only two slots left in
= > the machine, indeed.

= OK, that's a completely acceptable answer, but I suspect we're going
= to differ strongly on the finer points of "works fine."

The primary point is to provide the NAT service. A "REAL" firewall
has to be a separate machine with readonly disks and what not. The
appartment is not that big :-) "Works fine".

= I'm glad you've hit upon a solution that is acceptable. How 'bout
= writing it up for one of the online magazines? (Hint hint: Daemon
= News, for instance. ;^) It'll be good practice for writing the BSDCon
= paper you want to do as well, won't it?

I'd rather improve the rc.firewall example script along the lines of
the example I posted. That way, noone would need to search Daemon News
to have an efficiently working NAT... Having to search the web-sites
smacks of Linux :-)

	-mi