Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:01:51 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        impaqds@bellsouth.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mass Confusion

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 at 00:48 SAT, impaqds@bellsouth.net wrote:

>     After spending a hour on dozens of web pages concerning  FREEBSD
> I decided to download the OS and try it out.
>     Funny thing. I cannot find one single reference on any ftp  readme
> or index file that tells me what specific name the FREEBSD  OS is
> listed under. I found hundreds of files and sub directories with

[ ssssssssssnip ]

Try:
  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

That is linked directly from the FreeBSD home page, BTW.

To summarise:  You download one file and use it to create an installation
disk.  Then you boot with it and follow instructions, and the OS more or less
installs itself off the net.  It can hardly imagine a simpler way of
installing a completely new OS on a machine.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559