Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:49:09 -0500
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        grog@lemis.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, semen@iclub.nsu.ru
Subject:   RE: Sony SDT-7000 Tape won't write 4Gig

> ----------
> From: 	Ustimenko Semen[SMTP:semen@iclub.nsu.ru]
>
> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 11 February 1998 at 19:51:36 +0600, Ustimenko Semen wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I have got Sony SDT-1700 device, but i can't get it work:(
>
>  As a wrote - it is SDT-7000 realy:)

By the way, I can share some experience from using DDS. As I've
found there are two major manufacturers of DDS drives: Sony and
HP. From others I saw ARCHIVE (?) Viper in ICLs and it is so bad
that it does not deserve any discussion, they can not survive
even 2 weeks of operation.

HP uses OEM Sony drives in their cheap DDS devices designated for
PCs, and own HP drives in RISC servers. The latest are more expensive
(twice?) but a lot better. The problem with Sony drives is that even
with
extensive use of cleaning cartridges at some point (like 150-200
full tape backups, with cleaning after each other backup) they come to
the point when use of cleaning tape in any amount can't stop
the 'need cleaning' light from blinking. Disassembling and cleaning
up them manually helps but only for something like 5 full tape
backups. HP drives have no such problem, they live a lot longer,
and it takes very many backups together with very few cleanings
to kill them (yes, I saw dead one, peoples have used it for half a year
without any cleaning).

-SB