Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:03:49 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minor problems with upcomming 2.2.5

softweyr@xmission.com said:
:- I don't know that this is really something the FreeBSD team should
:- concern themselves with -- customizing FreeBSD for your site.

To be clear, that is *not* what I am asking.

I think FreeBSD *should* be able to be installed, out of the box,
and, with configuration, be able to run at this site.  This has
*not* been the case in the past because:

  1) The installation process had bugs, and so you would have to
fixup things post-install.

  2) Certain modules in the kernel had to be replaced or patched,
due to bugs.

I'm not complaining... I understand these things happen.  I'm simply saying
that I can't ask users to patch and re-build kernels, and work around bugs
in the installation disks.  They tell me to get lost.   ;-)

So, my goal is two fold:

  1) Help FreeBSD to get to the state where it *does* install and run
without problems at this site, needing only local configuration.

  2) Learn how to automatically provide this local customization for
users.

Only the first of these needs any attention from the FreeBSD team.

Thanks!

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 508 916 8256)
BWithrow@BayNetworks.com