Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:06:49 -0400
From:      Lord Raiden <me@raiden.net>
To:        Alexander Chamandy <bsdfreak@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about processes

>Most of those processes are used by the kernel, some of them, if you
>aren't using the specific hardware or functionality they provide (such
>as USB or ktrace) can be disabled by compiling your own kernel (see
>here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/kernelconfig.html).
>  While this may not provide a *HUGE* performance increase, it may be a
>good idea to try.  I would also recommend, perhaps, adding some more
>RAM?  :-)

         Hmm, interesting.  I figured they might all be needed, but given
the raw number that there were I was kind of shocked.  My ps list in 4.x
was a whole lot shorter so I thought that a lot of these were just a lot of
unneeded processes that could simply be removed, but apparently
not.  heh.  Thanks for the info.  I guess I just found it weird to have a
list like that come up.  Especially with all the irq and other items
appearing on that list.

Steven Lake
-Owner/Webmaster
Raiden's Realm
www.raiden.net

Come see "Monk" the comic strip and laugh till you die!  :)
http://www.raiden.net/Monk/