Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:10:35 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP multicast time and dhcp

> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:31:43 -0800
> From: Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I have a laptop (FreeBSD-4.2-R) that spends a lot of it's time
> disconnected from the network.  When I do want to connect it, I kick
> off dhclient -- works fine.

4.2? Come on, Eli. 4.5 should be out in a week and pccard support
is one area that has seen vast improvement since 4.2 came out. (Most
were in 4.4, although a few things have been done since then.)

> I recently set up ntpd as a multicast client and discovered that,
> when the interface (fxp0 in this case) is brought up by dhclient, the
> machine does not respond to IGMP queries, even though ntpd is
> listening on 224.0.1.1.
>
> ntpd is started at boot time (in the standard rc script way), and
> therefore fires up well before there is any IP connectivity.  It
> seems to me that the machine should respond to IGMP queries, even
> though the interface receiving the queries was not up when the socket
> was opened to listen for multicast traffic.....
>
> Any notion of why I might be seeing this? Thanks!

Just a guess, but I suspect that the receive address hashes are not
getting properly set up for multicast when the card is connected to a
running system.

To receive traffic for MAC addresses other than the native one, most
cards use a hashed table of addresses to recognize and I suspect that
it is only initialized at the initial multicast setup. If the card can't be
set at this time, maybe it never is.

Just to clarify, when you connect, are you inserting the card or
simply connecting a cable to a card that is already present?

Have you tried cycling the card with either a remove and insert or by
use of "pccardc power"?

And I may be completely off base in my analysis of this.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)