Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:09:50 +1000
From:      Paul Schofield <schofieldp@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help!

Ajax Munroe wrote:

>Friends,
>
>          I have tried to install Freebsd on my laptop at least twelve times, the only problem I encounter is with xfree86. here is a quick rundown of the scenario: everything goes as planned until I reboot, then type startx and each time I get the same error message (xfree86 crashed) well, not in those exact words but you get the message. I have read as much documentation as I could as far as Freebsd and the x-window-system are concerned. here are the specs on the laptop I desperatly want to install Freebsd on:
>
>                                      IBM T21.
>                                      2647-8BU
>                                      Generic flatpanel LCD monitor 1024 X 768
>                                      8 MB video memory
>                                      Savage IX driver <(BSD detects this)
>                                      TFT-active matrix
>                                       14.1 in.
>
>         Please, If someone could just email me a little more information on how to set the specifications for X on my model I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>                                                                                      Thank you for producing FREEBSD!            ajaxmunroe@yahoo.com

I run Linux on a T20 which is the same as a T21 with a slower cpu. Here
are my XF86Config sections for device, screen and server layout. Hope
this helps.

# **********************************************************************
# Device sections
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
    Option      "HWCursor"
    Option      "UseBIOS"
    Option      "ShadowStatus"
    Identifier  "S3 Savage (generic)"
    Driver      "savage"
    VendorName  "S3"
    BoardName   "Savage/IX-MV"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device      "S3 Savage (generic)"
    Monitor     "Generic|Generic LCD Panel 1024x768"
    DefaultColorDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x400"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

# Server Layout sections