Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 07:35:31 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.4RC4: Real World Guerilla Testing Guideline?

Hi,

I thought it was 5-7 days for a beta test cycle. I've usually seen a
5-7 day modeling strategy for testing beta apps. Most people may have family
issues, vacations, or other personal things to attend to so during the week
so the weekend span is usually good.

Just checked at Sept. 6, 2001 (Thu) - 07:13 AM (EST) and didn't see 4.4RC4
on ftp.freebsd.org. I figure I can downloaded the ISO in 2-3 hours, take an
hour to burn the CD, and 1-2 hours putting it on a test machine. Give it a
relaxing 8 hours just to get everything downloaded and prepped in most
situations and a good connection to a FTP site.
If I had three solid days to play with the product, even using formal
testing procedures, it would take a day to write up what I found in a
reasonable manner (remember to retest those bugs). So in this manner I spent
a least 4-5 days to adequately test the product, download it and deal with
the download issues (MD5/CRC anyone?), and write down what I found and
retest the errors I may have found.

Then, I expect a reasonable amount of time for the core developers and
techical support to look over my reports and decide to implement a solution
or answer to my feedback. I give that a few hours with quality feedback to
me. This all should happen within the RC1->RC3 stages (but things do happen
with new apps being created).

Dedicated people can probably have the product downloaded and tested within
two solid days with the third day to retest situations and provide feedback.
So, if RC4 got released by Friday then I could expect to see a very good
gold release by Sep 14, 2001 (Fri).

May the budget be with you...

Ken