Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 1980 07:12:29 -0700
From:      webnetix@mti.net (Webnetix)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP server dialing problems (ISDN)

Hi Everyone!

-Just joined the group, and am majoryly stuck! Would anyone be able to help?

I am configuring a FreeBSD box to act as a router to the Internet, but
alas, I have lost nearly a week trying to get it going.

Basic Problem.
I seem to croak around the PAP, CHAP authentication.  After PPP, TERM, atdt...,
Where PPP man page says I should get a login/password, I get nothing.  I have
tried setting all sorts of sets like authkey, enable ppp, accept ppp, etc.
No Luck,  the auto ppp seems to always complain abount not getting a 'dstaddr'

I think all is correct with my provider because I can dial in to him on a
Win3.1 machine using trumpet winsock, and as long as I enable PAP, I connect.
When I dial in UNIX like, I never see a login/passwd, and PPP never gets
invoked.  Show log shows CONNECTED! as the last log message.  So I'm forcing
a dial in ppp, the using TERM, but I can't authenticate using PAP or CHAP.

I don't want to dial and use ppp manually, but it is the only way I can
get it to dial my ISP.  Even though I have entries in my ppp.conf file,
they never seem to 'awaken' and dial anything.

If I ever use ppp -auto -alias interactive, the OS responds:
  with a ppp usage statement telling me -alias isn't an option.  I'm running
  2.1.6
If I use ppp -auto demand, the OS responds:
  with some password messages, using tun0, but ending with ' must specify
  dstaddr with auto mode.'
Here I'm just plain lost.

My provider has given me a subnet of addresses, namely 208.136.137.96 - .111
these have a subnet of 255.255.255.240.  Below on ifconfig lines you can
see that I want .97 to be the PPP interface, My ISP also assigns this address to
me upon connecting.   Is this bad that he assignes me an address out of my
subnet? Seemed weird to me.

The ISP is using an Ascend MAX 1800 @208.136.137.5.  I am using an Adtran
Express XRT.

Would anyone please send any helpful hints my way, if they have any ideas
about what I am doing wrong getting up my ISDN connection to my uplevel
provider?

I'm emailable direct at webnetix@mti.net.

Please see some of my basic configuration stuff below:

Set Up History.
#  	PPP  Configuration File

default:
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 115200
 disable pred1
 deny pred1
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0M0 OK-AT-OK
\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set phone 6854600
 set redial 3 10

interactive:
 set authname loginn
 set authkey password
 set phone 6854600
 set timeout 120
 set openmode active
 accept chap

demand:
 set authname loginn
 set authkey password
 set phone 6854600
 set timeout 120
 set openmode active
 accept chap
 set ifaddr 208.136.137.97/0 208.136.137.5/0 255.255.255.240
 add 0 0 208.136.137.5

mti:
 set authname loginn
 set authkey password
 set phone 6854600
 set timeout 120
 set openmode active
 accept chap
 set ifaddr 208.136.137.97/0 208.136.137.5/0 255.255.255.240
 add 0 0 208.136.137.5
#          ppp.linkup file
demand:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR
208.136.137.97:
 add 0 0 HISADDR
# This is sysconfig - highlites from

# this domain is not yet secured.
hostname=serv1.domain.com

network_interfaces="lo0 tun0 ed1"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 208.136.137.98 netmask 255.255.255.240 broadcast
208.136.137.111"
ifconfig_tun0="inet 208.136.137.97 208.136.137.5 netmask 0xfffffff0"

static_routes=""
defaultrouter=NO
router="routed"
routerflags=-s
mrouted=NO
sendmail_flags="-bdm"
gateway="YES"
firewall=NO

My sincere thanks for anyone's help regarding my problem.

-Scott