Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/11114: make(1) does not work as documented with .POSIX: target

The following reply was made to PR bin/11114; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To: Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:04:44 -0800

 On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 08:28:50PM +0100, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
 > Crist,
 >
 > On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 08:23:16AM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
 > # The issue here is that the .POSIX target will not have its effect
 > # until the makefile containing it is read. /usr/share/mk/sys.mk is the
 > # first file read. make(1) doesn't know about anything that you have set
 > # in your makefile yet.
 > #
 > # I have no idea if that is a bug or feature. What do the standards say
 > # (if anything)?
 >
 > The POSIX 2001 Standard defines the behavior of make and mandates that
 > the macros have the following values, when .POSIX: is specified as the
 > first noncomment line and without prerequisites and commands:

 Right, but what is the exact wording? All of this does work when the
 ".POSIX" target is set in sys.mk. In exactly which makefile is the
 ".POSIX" target supposed to work? If it is in the local one, this is a
 real problem. Goes against the whole way makefiles are processed.