Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 16:56:43 -0700
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt@azstarnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: First commands

At 10:24 AM 10/5/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
>Next month I'll be putting something together to help unix-newbies
>deal with the horror of their first FreeBSD prompt :-)

I'm new to the list as well as FreeBSD. Seeing that first prompt (Friday,
February 27, 1998, at 2:04 PM MST) was as much of a thrill as hearing the
first radio station on a crystal radio I built fourty years ago.

Of course, I didn't know what to do next or the knowledge to fully
understand what the man pages were telling me. Greg Lehey's book kept me
moving in the right directions and a unix/shell basics book was certainly
handy. I'm sure I spent more time reading than anything else.

The original list posted has most of the shell commands I used in the first
couple of weeks to get my system running with X and few applications. The
additional ones I used that have been mentioned already were:

mount
umount
shutdown
tar
fsck

I needed to make a few symbolic links, so perhaps include:

ln

I used vi as a text editor but any would serve the purpose for making
changes to configuration files.

Randy